Moving away from home, potentially in a new country can be hard. Find out where to get support if you feel you need it

Quick version of this page: Call the Duty Warden on 07801 649 400 to chat about any problem and seek immediate assistance.

Long version of this page:

The most important thing to realise is that everyone at Imperial wants you to succeed, and that no-one will seek to discriminate you in any way. You should talk to whoever you feel most comfortable to; but there are a lot of options and a lot of people to help you. Nothing is too big, or too small. Please do not suffer in silence: tell someone if there is an issue. Even if you tell the “wrong” person, they will be able to still help you, or redirect you to the correct place.

Who is there, in brief?

The College has a wide range of support services. Starting in Halls, you have the Duty Warden and your Pastoral Warden. The Warden and Assistant Warden can also be contacted at all times. In your department, you will be assigned at least one Tutor, and the department will have a Senior Tutor and a Directory of Studies and Head of Department. The NHS College Healthcentre works closely with the support services within the College, namely the Disability Advisory Service, the College Tutors and the Counselling Service. The Union (ICU, not its constituent unions – CGCU/ICSMSU/RCSU/RSMU) provides a trained advisor in its Advice Centre.

There are also a number of logistical support services, such as the Student Hub and Registry.

Where should I go?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question depends very much on your exact situation, and who you feel most comfortable talking to. No-one will force you to go to a specific service; it is completely up to you. The Wardening Team will be available any time you need to discuss any issue you may be having, and to advise you on a possible route of action, and to try help (if you wish) remedy any situation. You can, of course, go straight to any internal College or external Charity support service without going through the Wardening team too. It is completely up to you. Google “support services Imperial College” to find out lots and lots of information from across the College: this page is only the beginning.

If you do need any help, please do get in touch with the Wardening Team. Confidentiality is maintained across the team and we will only contact other services across the College if you ask us to.

Student Counselling Service

Email or phone to arrange an appointment, you will be offered the next available time that suits you. This service is confidential. Can go to counselling for a range of issues including but not restricted to mental health, relationship difficulties, bereavement, sexuality etc. Counselling also offer occasional workshops on subjects such as stress management and self-esteem
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 9637

Imperial College Health Centre

Phone or in person to book an appointment with a GP. This service is confidential. GP can give medical diagnosis and offer treatment as they see fit. One treatment that can be provided is counselling (needs referral from GP)
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7584 6301

Online GP Registration

You can find the online GP registration form here


Faith related issues. Free mindfulness sessions (non-religious) every Tuesday, 13:05-13:50. Religious meditation also available. Check website for more information
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 9600

Advice Centre

Independent of college. This service is confidential. Can correspond face to face, via email or phone. Covers lots of areas; academic, money, accommodation, employment, international, legal etc.
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 8067

Disability Advisory Service

Encouraged to contact initially through email. Also have online booking form. Can guide you to additional help. There are also departmental disability officers who can help
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 9755

Personal Tutors

Personal and senior tutor within each department are first point of call. You can also contact one of the college tutors to discuss any academic or welfare issues

College Tutors

Dr Lynda White:
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 8527

Dr Simon Archer:
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 5368

Dr Mick Jones:
Email –
Telephone – 020 8383 1643

Mr Colin Kerr:
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 6004

Student Hub

Can help with enquiries about many aspects of university life. Provides information about services available to students
Website –
Email –
Telephone – 020 7594 9444

Student Support Fund

Can provide emergency financial help if you have a sudden change in circumstances. Please visit the website for full details and application form
Website –

Wilson House – Clinic Hours

Clinic hours run 6pm-7pm weekdays during term time and, due to Covid-19, may be held physically and/or virtually. Please come and speak to us about anything – even if it’s to find out about interesting places in London to see.