Tell me about Wilson House

Wilson House is one of Imperial College’s largest halls of residence, housing nearly 400 students. The hall comprises 22 refurbished, inter-connected Victorian period houses with a brand new, purpose-built residential block to the rear. Wilson House is located in vibrant and bustling Paddington, approximately half an hour walk from Imperial’s South Kensington campus. For more information have a look through the rest of our website, eWilson and join our Facebook group.

What will my bedroom be like?

At Wilson House, you will find a combination of single or twin standard rooms, with shared bathroom facilities, and en suite rooms. All bedrooms are furnished with a bed, study desk, chair, wardrobe, shelving, desk lamp, curtains, chest of drawers, notice board and book shelf/case. You will not be given pillows or duvets, only the mattress. Also, for storage space, your beds have approximately 25-30cm height space under them, and you will also each get a shoe basket (about 1m x 1m x 0.2m). Your rooms will be cleaned once a month by a cleaner. The specific dates and times will be available when you move in. There are shared bathrooms in each house containing toilets, showers and half-length mirrors.

What will I find in the kitchen?

In the kitchen you will each be given a cupboard where you can put your food and crockery. You will be given a key for this cupboard so that you can lock it. You will also be provided with a shelf in a shared fridge, and shared freezer spaces are available – these are not locked. Kitchens are shared between residents, and scaled with equipment according to the number of students assigned to the kitchen. The kitchens are equipped with stoves, ovens, fridge/freezers, microwaves, toasters and kettles. The kitchens are cleaned several times a week, and a schedule will be available when you move in.

What can I throw in the bin?

Your room will be equipped with a normal bin for rubbish that cannot be recycled. Each kitchen has several recycling bins as well as a food waste bin. Please sort your rubbish according to the following guidelines: https://www.westminster.gov.uk/what-can-i-recycle-home

Can I bring a TV with me?

There are TVs in communal spaces, such as the common room, which are covered by the hall’s TV license and are for the use of all hall residents. If you do bring your own TV, or watch TV on your personal devices including laptops, mobile phones or desktop computers, you are required to organise your own a TV license as this is not covered by the hall license. For more information on TV licenses please visit: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/current-residents/policies-and-guidelines/tv-licence/

How do I do laundry?

There is a laundry room in the basement of the hall with washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. Circuit maintains these facilities and payment for their use is run through a mobile app. Wash baskets are provided but you will need to buy your own detergent. For more information please visit: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/current-residents/services/laundry/

Do I have access to the internet?

There is internet access in all halls of residence. Network connection points allow residents to connect their computer or laptop to the College’s network and there are WiFi access points distributed around the hall enabling you to connect to the internet remotely. To connect to the network through the network connection point you will need to bring a network cable; these can also be purchased from the Union Shop.

Will I have a telephone?

Every bedroom has a telephone handset connected to the College network. Internal calls within the College are free of charge for both incoming and outgoing calls. If you wish to make external calls you will need to register, which is a prepaid account service. These are chargeable calls and are not covered in your rent. However, you can receive external calls without registering. To find all the information about your phone in halls, visit the website www.imperial.ac.uk/ict/services/telephones/hallsofresidence.

To receive an external call you need to ask the person calling you to dial 0207 85 followed by your five digit extension which can be found on the handset in your room. To receive an internal call, give out your five digit extension starting with a 2. You must keep the Cisco handset plugged in at all times – failure to do so will prevent the phones from receiving essential updates and a charge may be levied.

How do I get into Wilson House?

When entering Wilson House, each person entering must touch their card to the card reader, and let THEMSELVES in ONLY. DO NOT let anyone tailgate into the building. Anyone entering Wilson must be able to enter using their own college ID card. This not only concerns the safety of your belongings, but the safety of you and the other people in the hall.

What do I need to pack?

You will need to bring everything that is needed for independent living with you when you move into halls. This includes bedding, cooking utensils, a network cable, etc. If you wish, before you arrive, you can purchase your essential items through UniKitOut, a company that specialises in providing packs that are tailored to the needs of new students. You may wish to consider pre-ordering bedding, crockery, cutlery and even some essential electrical items. Imperial students receive a discount by quoting IMP18 at the checkout.

Please do not bring any kitchen electrical items (e.g. rice cookers). Safety regulations (which you agree to when you accept your place in halls) prohibit microwaves, hot plates, kettles, toasters, etc. in the bedrooms.

Please do not bring any kitchen electrical items (e.g. rice cookers). Safety regulations (which you agree to when you accept your place in halls) prohibit microwaves, hot plates, kettles, toasters, etc. in the bedrooms.

How do I get post?

Every student has an individual lockable mailbox, located in the hall entrance. You will be notified when you need to collect any packages too large to fit into the mailbox from the Hall Supervisors Office, Monday to Friday usually between 09:00-10:00 and 16:00-18:00. You will need to be present to receive and sign for any supermarket/food/refrigerated items or deliveries or substantially large items.

Your address at Wilson House will be:
Room (###) – Wilson House
38-76 Sussex Gardens
London W2 1UF
United Kingdom

Do I need smart clothing?

It is likely that you will be invited to some formal events during the year (including in the first two weeks of term), so some smart attire will be useful to bring along if you have it!

Where can I smoke?

Imperial has a smoke-free policy, and to this effect, NO SMOKING is allowed by students, staff or their visitors anywhere in Wilson or within 20 metres of its premises. Further information on Smoke-free Imperial can be found at: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/health-and-wellbeing/smoke-free-imperial/

What are hall seniors?

Hall Seniors are a small number of students offered an additional year in hall, in return for assistance in running the residence and are chosen by the Hall Wardens. If you want to continue living in Wilson House after your first year, you can consider applying for a hall senior position. Application forms will become available in February.

How can I contribute to hall events?

Join the Hall Committee! The hall committee meets every fortnight, and decides on the event program for the hall.